Monday, March 29, 2010

Clothes Check

So, I'm doing some work in my closet.

I have a lot of clothes, that for whatever reason I don't pick out to wear on a given day. Those clothes that I pass over day after day, week after week and don't choose.

Yet, I can't get rid of them either when I'm going through trying to clean out.

So, last week, I decided to do something about it. And it's become a very interesting experiment. I am wearing all of the clothes I don't pick out to wear. I'm not just trying them on. I'm wearing them to work. All day. And assessing why it is I don't choose them in the mornings. For real, there's a big difference between trying them on at home and wearing them out all day. I usually know by 8:30 am whether it's in or out.

And I have chosen some criteria to use to determine whether what I wear is a keeper or not:
  • Do I still think it's cute?
  • Do I feel good in it?
  • Is it flattering?
  • Would I buy it today if I saw it in the store?
  • Is it age appropriate (whether frumpy or too young)

So, Wednesday was my first experiment day (I was out with Liam Mon/Tues). I put on a skirt and sweater set and spent the day evaluating how I felt about the above questions - you know, checking myself out in the mirror every time I went to the bathroom to see how I felt. I was pretty sure it was on the list to go. I was feeling particularly "momish" and frumpy and not hip or trendy at all. Then I went to the $1 Tree after work and a 9-year old kid came in and said "Are you a teacher?" and I thought, yup, this is out. (No offense to my wonderful teacher-friends who are all extremely trendy and not stereotypically "teachery" - you all know what I'm talking about).

So, I'm making my way through all those poor neglected items and discovering very quickly why I haven't picked them out to wear. Most days I can't wait to get home and change clothes. It's been very revealing and interesting. Hopefully it'll help me simplify my wardrobe. Why shouldn't I love to wear every piece of clothing in my closet and feel great in everything I wear? Seriously?

Try it if you're like me with a lot of clothes you don't ever wear. I'd love to know how it works for you!

1 comment:

The Rathmell Family said...

I can't believe there is anything in your closet that isn't fabulous--you always look so stylish and pulled-together :)