I must start by saying that I feel guilty for saying that maternity leave is not fun. It's just that "fun" doesn't really capture it. Fun is what I have when I go to Sips N Strokes or have Girls' Night Out. Anyway...
Liam has wanted to be held all day today. I admit that I have had days like that, too. But, I haven't minded that he's wanted to be held because I haven't wanted to put him down. There's nothing like feeling a baby on your chest, even if he is fussy sometimes. I just keep staring at him trying to burn the image and feelings in my brain and body because I don't want to forget, and I know I will...that's what everyone says.
I'm thinking a lot now about going back to work in a couple of weeks. I am really enjoying a simpler life. Right now, my days are about taking care of Liam. I used to wonder what I would do all day when I was home with him on maternity leave and worry that days would seem so long. I spend most of my day looking at him, which I can't get enough of. And the rest, well, you know, I've already blogged about that. Days get by so quickly and I can't really show much for them.
I'm enjoying the simplicity of having such a clear and focused purpose - and one that means so much to me. When people ask what I've been up to and what's going on, I don't have much news to share. And, it's kinda nice, actually. I can tell you about poopy diapers. I can tell you about our sleep schedule. I can tell you about who's come by to visit. I can tell you that I've spent the last 6 weeks sharing the most important event in my life with the most important people in my life. It's very existential...meaningfulness, relationships, life, responsibility...
Simple. Not easy, but simple. In two weeks, I have a feeling that'll change. For now, I'm going to hold on to it as much as I can.

No comments:
Post a Comment