Thursday, August 28, 2008

I didn't wear jeans in high school


That's because I didn't have any. Yep, that's correct. I didn't own a pair of jeans in high school. Which means I started my freshman year in college without jeans, too.

I was reminiscing about this last week when classes started at UAB and I was looking at what the students are wearing to class these days and I wondered...if I didn't wear jeans, what did I wear???

Anyway, it's been a whirlwind starting the fall semester this year. I think I will always live my life on the academic calendar. August is really my January. I can't ever remember a time of life when the fall didn't feel like the beginning and New Year's felt more like a break in the middle. Now that a child is on the way, I'm sure that living life in semesters will continue.

And I don't think that's half bad. I love the start of the semester. It always meant shopping. New "back to school" outfits (I still do that since I work at a school) and, my favorite, awesome school supplies...that's right, coordinating notebooks, folders, highlighters and pens for each class. I got (get) very excited about getting ready and anticipating the new semester.

Semesters represent a fresh start, encounters with new knowledge, challenges in thinking, learning from peers and teachers. Semesters also have a clear start and finish, which I have come to appreciate. So, if it really ends up being a bad or chaotic semester or I had a really bad professor, well, there's always the end of the term to bring closure to it, and typically some kind of break in between semesters to catch your breath. It's like living life in digestable bites. And I have come to find peace and comfort in that predictable rhythm.

I still get excited the first day of class. And, I actually do own jeans now. Even though now, I'm not allowed to wear them to class.

1 comment:

Lenox Knits said...

I can really relate to living your life in semesters. I've either been going to school or working for a school my entire life. Reading your blog just made me realize why New Years has never been that important to me. I've already celebrated the start of the new year in my mind in the Fall.