My personality is pretty future - oriented.
My mind lives in a world of ideas, visioning, imagining, possibilities, creativity and what could be. I thrive in that place. I tend to use the present as a springboard to possibility and envisioning the ideal. Then, I try to figure out how to make it happen.
While exciting to me, it leaves me often missing the present moment.
Liam has pulled me back into the present. My dear friend Mollie has recently inspired me to think about what I notice during the day. Right now, I notice everything Liam and how fully and absolutely present he is. So much so, he can go from smiling and happy to mad and hungry in seconds. He is noticing everything and we can just see him taking it all in and studying it.
Last night, I noticed his precious chin and neck (which is a rare sighting) when he was playing on his play mat talking and stretching his neck. This week he is talking so much, so I'm noticing all the little sounds he makes and trying to learn what they all mean.
I'm completely pulled into the present when he nurses and I have to sit and be still for those precious moments. It's during these times that I try so very hard not to be future-minded, but to take time to burn the memory into my brain and enjoy this time I have, because it's going by so fast and I don't want to forget it or miss it because I'm thinking about tomorrow.
Being present-minded is a difficult exercise for me and one that takes discipline and intentionality. Liam helps me with that.

2 comments:
Amen, sister!
he is so beautiful! and it IS so hard to stay present - i am so glad that Liam is helping you with that...
Post a Comment