Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Simplifying

Major life transitions always have me re-evaluate my values and priorities. Particularly the difficult transitions - or the ones that really rock my world. Events like graduations, deaths of family members, my marriage, moving, starting a new job, changing jobs, and now, having a baby.

This transition has definitely rocked them all. So, now, I am asking myself...does my life reflect my priorities and values? Are my time, energy, and resources being given to those people and things that are most important in my life?

With Liam and family at the top of my list now, I realize that my life prior to Liam just isn't going to fit anymore. I am currently serving in numerous leadership positions at work, church, in my profession and community. I have always kept a busy week participating in all kinds of events and fun things (like painting, ane movies, and dinner out). These activities many take up many evenings, weekends and early mornings. While these commitments are things that I truly enjoy, they take up significant time, energy, and resources.

So, it's time to simplify. My plan is to evaluate my commitments and let go of some of these activities. I plan to downsize some of my activities and not have every weeknight planned with something to do. It doesn't mean I'm done forever, I'm just simplifying and prioritizing. The bottom line... when I'm planning workshops, going to meetings, attending conferences, etc. I'm not spending time with Liam or Will or other loved ones. And that doesn't align with my priorities.

A new baby, a new year, a natural time to implement change and take responsibility for what my life looks like. Because my child, my husband, my family and friends are the most important things in my life, I am committed to fitting them in first. I want to reserve the energy, time and resources to give to those treasured and precious people who make life worth living.

So this means that I will miss being a part of things that I have truly enjoyed. I will be letting go of networks and communities of friends I care about and spending less time doing some of the things I love doing. But, while there is some loss, there is much, much more to gain by spending time with Liam, Will, family and friends. And I will never get this time back in Liam's life.

So, here's to intentional living. May God give me courage, wisdom, strength, and insight to make the right choices in my life.

No comments: