Thursday, January 29, 2009

Sleeping Like a Baby


There's nothing more peaceful than a sleeping baby. Especially my baby. At least that's my opinion.

But, now that I have a baby, the saying, "sleeping like a baby" makes little sense.

If adults slept like babies, we'd be out of our minds and delirious. It'd be impossible to function sleeping at 2-4 hour intervals at a time.

And it'd be hard to keep a job if we had to take several naps during the day (although, I surely wouldn't mind it).

And what if we required someone to hold us and rock us and soothe us until we fell asleep?

Granted, once Liam is asleep, he sleeps like no one's business. Today, he even slept through a diaper change. He has also slept today on my lap while I worked on the computer, in the car, in his glider, on my shoulder, being passed around to be held...not a bad deal to sleep that hard. I was truly impressed.

Maybe that's where the phrase came from.

I know, deep thoughts. I guess it's what happens after sitting at home for 6 weeks with a baby and little sleep!

No comments: