Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Crop 'til you drop

Bet you thought this was a scrapbooking entry. Nope.



Meet Team Fast Food...



I was "Big Shake" and Allison Solomon, who works with me, was "Little Fry". Will was Super Size but we didn't get his close-up.

Our youngest team member was "Chicken Nugget" or AKA Madeline Solomon who is teething and made this awesome face all afternoon.


My office, Disability Support Services, participated with UAB Career Services in the Birmingham Crop Walk this past Sunday. It was a 3-mile walk in Southside, Birmingham, to raise money for organizations that work to address and end hunger and poverty. Will and I designed Heifer International as our sponsor organization because of our personal connection with this great program that works to end hunger by providing livestock and education to families and communities both locally and globally. Local organizations, such as Greater Birmingham Ministries, who work to address poverty in our community and world, will benefit from donations we collect as well.

The afternoon was perfect and the weather was wonderful. Because we dilly-dallied around taking pictures instead of starting the walk, we ended up toward the end of the group. Since the walk took place on downtown sidewalks, there wasn't much opportunity to pass people if you wanted to walk at a different pace. So, it ended up taking us an hour and a half to walk 3 miles. The woman in front of us wore dress shoes and her Sunday outfit. She was limping big time due to her blisters by the end of the walk. I'm not sure she realized she'd be walking.

Most of our team finished before we did. Some of our team stopped at the McDonalds they passed along the way to get a diet Coke. Does something sound strange about that - stopping at a fast food chain to get food while on a walk to raise awareness and money for hunger and poverty? Or is that just me?

Well, regardless, it was a great day and I am reminded that I am so rich and privileged in my life to be able to have health and means to have what I need in life. And not only what I need, but much, much more than I need. I am grateful to have had the opportunity to participate in the Crop Walk and am challenged to think about ways to do more than just raise money to help address hunger and poverty in our community and world.

1 comment:

bp said...

That is the best face ever, sweet Madelaine!!! Oh man, were you just wanting to eat her up the whole time???