DISCLAIMER: Will wanted to make sure it was clear that he watches it to spend time with me.
Stacy has taught me how to say "Shut Up" when I'm excited or need an exclamatory response to something. Actually, my friend Mollie taught me that. Stacy just reinforces it. She has also taught me to put things together that "go," not necessarily "match."
Clinton has taught me to layer, start with some basic neutrals and add one piece of pattern and color. When I shop, I have a little Stacy on one shoulder and Clinton on the other.
The thing I've learned from both of them is to learn to accept and appreciate my body where it is. They work with women who are all different sizes, shapes, and body types and they show that it is possible to feel good and look good AS YOU ARE. This is one reason I like them so much.
Tonight I had a wonderful massage. While lying there, I realized that I actually feel comfortable in my body. I don't know that I have ever, in all my 34 years, said that. It's not because of the size I am, but it's because I have accepted, I think, that I am what I am and that I won't ever be that which I'm not (even if I wanted to be). And that what I am is enough. And it's even more than enough. It's good. And I am lucky to have the ability to walk, run, feel, move, and sense pleasure and pain.
I've accepted that top half of my body is a different size than the bottom. I've accepted that my feet are really large and that my fingers are bent in odd directions. I've accepted that my eyes are crooked, nose is crooked, and smile is crooked...and the un-evenness moves on down my body to most everything...My high school friends gave me the nickname "Lefty." I'll let you figure that one out.
My wish for men and women is that they could love and accept their bodies as they are. This doesn't mean you don't work toward good health. I think what this means is that when we love and accept our bodies, that we want to treat them with love - exercise, yoga, rest, trusting touch, good nutrition and awareness.
Querky little post, maybe, but it's what's on my mind. For me, I've battled my own constant criticism of my body all my life. Being embarrassed or ashamed. Comparing myself to friends and other women. Wishing I had a different body - because if I only did then life would be different. So, to feel comfortable in my body is significant, and for that, I am so very grateful.

4 comments:
This is AWESOME. I think you have a perfect body and always have. But what you wrote is wonderful coming from where we do. love you and all these thoughts. Will, we know you watch that just for Angie. . .
bessie
okay, I think Mollie was right about the two of us having lots in common, but I really can't believe that I had the same nickname as you in high school, and I think it may be for the same reason. I almost spit out my coffee as I read this. --barbara
I'll try this again (last comment was mine, deleted)...babs, that is HILARIOUS! I can't wait to meet...
Post a Comment