Monday, December 31, 2007

What's in a name?


Names. Everyone has one, most people have a vague idea what their own means, butfew give them much more thought. The study of names is called onomastics, a field which touches on linguistics, history, anthropology, pyschology, sociology, philology and much more. www.behindthename.com

This is Walker. As in Johnnie Walker. Not Walker, Texas Ranger, as many thought. Will picked out his name.

What goes into choosing a name? Like a child's name? Some look at family names, some want to be Jr, or the III or IV, some look at what sounds good, or the initials one will have. Some want to have families whose names go together in a series (like they all begin with the letter "T") or what they want their child to represent or immulate (like Charity or Hope).

I chose Artsy Fartsy for the name of this blog because I have been called this name in my life, through many stages by many people in many different settings. So, really, I didn't choose it, it chose me and I chose to let it represent me in my new venture into this blog. Those of you who know me probably giggled when you saw the name of the blog.

I'm generally not very good at naming things. The first song I wrote was entitled "A Song." The second, "Another Song." The third, "Song Long Due." The next, "My Song for You." You get the picture. I know how descriptive names can be and I think that I think too much about all that is supposed to be captured - that the name of something is the definitive identity of that which is named. To put something's entire meaning into 1-2 words...now, that feels like pressure. So, I take the easy way out and pick a name that doesn't describe it at all.

But, I do think Artsy Fartsy describes me. I love to create and I love to be creative. I thrive in environments where I can use the side of my brain that doesn't analyze, reflect or search. I can be free and express a different kind of vision. When engaged in art and creativity, I can lose all sense of time, place and reason. I am grateful for this wonderful place to go and escape.

So, what is in a name?

Really, nothing, until we have something or someone to attach it to, then it can become everything.

Meaninglessness, unless we have experience or relationships to bring it meaning.

Neutrality, until we can claim it or have some kind of emotional experience with it and it becomes personal.

Who knew there was so much in a name?

1 comment:

Gopali said...

I love the pic of the dog and his name. The more we talk and I read your blog the more I realize how much alike we are minus the obvious :) Didn't know you were a Libra too. Cool.