Today, mom, Liam and I went to Prattville to visit my grandmother, Mema. She is a precious, dear woman who will be 90 years old this year on her birthday. She moved to a Prattville nursing home about a year ago and my sweet Aunt Carol is helping take care of her and make sure the nursing home takes care of her, too. (This is Liam and Aunt Carol below.)
I haven't seen Mema in about a year. She suffers from vascular dementia and over the past several years we have seen a steady decline in her memory and ability to communicate. My memory of Mema growing up is of someone who was full of life. She told story after story, many of which were made up, Mom says, and would laugh until she cried. She was a clothes-horse and shopped for a bargain like no one I've ever known. She had several closets of clothes in her house that were packed full and every time we went over to her house she'd have some new outfits to try on for us.
I have great memories with and of her. When she was struck with a stroke several years ago, her personality drastically changed to someone who was quiet, soft-spoken, precious and sweet. I'm blessed to have her as my Grandmother, as everyone who comes into contact with her just loves her because she's so precious.
We had a good visit with her today. She knew Mom, but she didn't know me or Liam. She enjoyed watching Liam in between dozes.
Liam played in her room and loved it when Mom rolled him around in the wheelchair. He did just fine in the car and was a perfect angel at lunch. He definitely was a big boy and insisted on carrying his lunch box and walking everywhere. So cute, I can hardly stand it.

No comments:
Post a Comment