Wednesday, July 2, 2008

I killed a precious tree

I am clearly very neglectful of my blog - it's been nearly a month since my last entry. I have lots of entries in my head, but I guess those don't really count, unless you can read my mind.

I have a couple of excuses. You can judge whether they're worthy or not. I was on vacation about a week with no access to a computer and then when I got back I paid at work for being gone so long and it took another week to catch up. And, I'm pregnant. I don't really know how that prevents me from blogging, but it's been a good excuse to get away with other things like housework, cooking, forgetting things (like my phone number), etc. So, I might as well try it here, too.

But, sadly, I am not only neglectful of my blog, but also of plantlife. Will's grandma gave me a Norfolk pine when I started working at UAB 6 years ago. I killed it this summer.




I killed it and it has looked like this for several weeks now. You can even see one of the sweet red bells that Grandma knitted as an Christmas ornament that I never took off after the holidays. The UAB "Plant Lady" came by and saw the tree and told us to get rid of it because it made us look bad. But, I am very attached to it and just can't get rid of it yet.Monday, I got back to the office after a meeting and the staff in the office, who had been working so very hard, shared this poem they wrote in honor of the tree:

Ode to the Little Tree:

Little tree was happy, now little tree is sad
Little tree got water, then little tree got mad.

He just got too much water, so he drowned you see.
Unlike all us humans, little tree can’t pee.

Meagan delivered the blows that took the poor tree down.
Now when you look at little tree, it’s nothing but a frown.


God Speed Little Tree.
-Disability Support Servcies

Let's hope I'm a better parent to our child than this tree.

2 comments:

The Solomons said...

I LOVE this post....cracks me up!! Don't worry, you'll take much better care of Sweet Pea.

bp said...

this is AWESOME. I love the ode. Sweet Pea will be wonderful- I mean, look how well you are at remembering to feed Walker? You've had him for much longer than little tree.