Monday, March 10, 2008

Stimulus-Response


We all know about Pavlov's dogs. Every time a bell rang, the dogs were given food. Eventually, even when the food was taken away and the bell rang, the dogs would salivate in anticipation of food because their bodies learned a response ... bell ringing = food.

I like to think I'm advanced and sophisticated and complex. But, I'm not. Here's my "bell:"




When I see a SALE price tag, I have a physiological response. It's almost like compulsion to try something on (even if I wouldn't have picked it up if it wasn't on sale). This tag is a picture of a jacket I bought last weekend while Bess was in town in Decatur at my favorite discount clothing store, Martins. I like to shop in Decatur (even though I live in Birmingham) because I can always find the sales in Decatur. This is my conversation with Will after that little shopping trip:

Angela: So, I got a deal at Martins - see my new jacket? It was $7.95.

Will: But you don't need a jacket.

Angela: But it was $7.95 and I got 10% off because it was missing a button. THEN I had a 20% my entire purchase coupon.

Will: You got 10% and have to sew a button. That's only 80 cents. You should get more off to have to sew a button.

Angela: But it was $7.00. You know I'll wear it and I had to get it.

...Okay, I'm sure you can imagine the rest of the conversation. He just didn't get it! I know many of you who will read this and I know you have the same experience. It's just hard to pass up a good deal.

I remember grieving with my dear friend Allison when the Parisian at Eastwood Mall closed a few years ago. THAT was a place for a deal and it was dangerously close to where we lived. I "saved" lots of money there.

I know you've used that phrase, too. "I saved $25 on that jacket." But, is it really saving when, had it not been on sale, you would have never bought it? So, really, you didn't save, you spent, but it's nice to say how much we saved because it makes us feel good.

Well, here's to good shopping and good deals. May we always be lucky on the clearance racks.

4 comments:

The Solomons said...

The second that! I too can NOT pass up a bargain...I think it's something in the estrogen.

iMollie said...

It's even better to "save" with a bargain when you can't do math fast like you and Will. So I use words like, "I saved HUGE on this!" or real logic like, "I saved more on this than I spent!" and I just get rolled eyes in response. Instead of decimals and fractions.
hooray for your new jacket. period.

Kassie said...

I used that phrase lots this weekend! Saving as much as I did helped me feel better about spending anything.

bp said...

Here here on saving!!!! By the way, the darling jacket was worth way more than the $7- AND you were planning on using another button on a jacket you ALREADY have, which is the extra $.80 or whatever number Will figured out. So There, Mr. BOB.