Friday, March 14, 2008

Maintenance

Students at UAB have been on spring break, so I've used this week to have personal maintenance appointments. You've already heard about the hair cut. I'm not going to share the details about my annual physical...

But yesterday I went to the dentist. Some people really hate going to the dentist. I don't mind it so much. It makes me feel responsible when I go and I love the feeling of having smooth, polished, clean teeth. The past couple of times I've gone, I haven't felt so responsible, in fact, I was fussed at for not flossing my teeth like I should.

Well, the shaming worked and I have gotten better about flossing. I learned yesterday that the dental hygienist actually grades patients. Yesterday made it all worth it when I got praise for my good gums AND I got a better grade - they even wrote it down in my record. Took me back to report card days. I even got complimented on my straight teeth. Really, I felt 15 years old again.


So, here's to braces and what we have to go through during those adolescent years to have straight teeth and just make it through. This picture captures me as a 15-year-old freshman girl wearing her headgear on the bus traveling to a math tournament. I really have no explanation for the visor.

Oh, those awkward years. I'm glad I never have to go through it again. Why didn't someone tell me what I looked like?????

2 comments:

bp said...

Angela, I told you countless times what a geek you looked like. But what a beautiful smile now!!! Love, your little sister :)

The Solomons said...

This makes me laugh SOOOOO hard, mostly because I too sported a head gear....my brother and I would wrestle and my parents yelled at us to stop, fearing our head gears would become tangled!!!!