Thursday, January 10, 2008

I Love Ho-Lo




I've always imagined that heaven would look a lot like Hobby Lobby.

Without the registers. And with all my family and friends sitting at lots of craft tables lined up with all the supplies and wine and food you'd need.

Most folks I know would not imagine heaven anything like a Ho-Lo. I guess maybe I imagine Heaven as the place where I will be most at peace, lost in joy, just discovering and learning and being creative and open. I think Ho-Lo reminds me of this because it takes me back to that child in me.

My mom was a teacher before I was born. So, she had all kinds of tricks up her sleeve. Crafting and creating was a regular thing at our house growing up. I remember vacation Bible School making all those corny projects and being so proud to take them home. A lot of those special projects have gotten to hang on the Christmas tree as "ornaments" over the years. Still, today, you can find my sister's and my art hanging on walls and our sculptures sitting around the house. Our parents always made us feel so talented and creative.

One Halloween when I was probably 10 or so, I was feeling particularly creative. Sometimes, growing up, I subscribed to the "it's better to ask forgiveness than permission" philosophy. I took mom's white sheets and cut them up and made ghosts to hang on the front porch as decorations. I did all of this as a "surprise" for her and the family. I'm sure my little sister, Bess, helped me out. Mom was not surprised. She was not impressed with my artistic ability to fashion a ghost scene on our porch. I had torn and ripped and ruined her only set of nice white sheets. She was not happy. Of course, she forgave me, and we let that scene of ghosts stay up until after Halloween.

When I do art and crafts today, I still get that giggly excitement. Part of me still wants to take my project to someone (usually Will or Bess) for the "ooooh and ahhhh" response, like I would get from my mom. Ask Will, I always have to show him and am looking for that "that's so good, Angela" response. It's silly, and I'm even laughing as I write this. But, if I'm being honest, it's true.

So, I think that's why I love Ho-Lo. It makes me feel good at my core. It takes me back to the most genuine and pure times of my life when I have created and gotten lost in that joy of creating. When I have been so excited to show something that was created by me and was able to share it with someone who then shared their joy back with me. That's the feeling I imagine to have when I'm in heaven.

3 comments:

The Solomons said...

Your creations ARE "so good" Angela. Your mom's craftiness rubbed off, but I would give almost anything to see you cutting up those sheets to make ghosts!hahahah

Anonymous said...

I think it would only fair for you to send a set of your favorite sheets to your mom to do with as she pleases :)

This has been my favorite post so far - it just seems to be filled with such hope and promise. I have always loved doing arts and crafts (despite cultural stereotypes) and seem to do them most with family.

So, kudos for a great blog (and yet another corporate endorsement) - someone needs to be giving you some kickbacks.

Matt

bp said...

Ang, you forgot to mention another big scandel of the scene- our shadow witch, cut out of black construction paper I think, was a profile. . .meaning she had BOOBIES. he he he. he he he. It still makes me feel so BAD. We put BOOBIES on the front porch.